Organically Grown / Holistically Managed
About our Pasture
* All of our pasture is organically grown.
* We never put any chemicals or pesticides on our pasture.
* Chicken tractors are moved daily over them to create even, natural fertilizer.
* In addition to the chickens fertilizing the pasture, we also have cows, laying hens, and turkeys that all work together. Cows mow down the pasture, laying hens come through and scratch through the cow pies to spread them out, then after the grass has had time to grow back, the chicken tractors come through. Finally, the pasture rests until the rotation begins again, creating a thick topsoil; rich, green color and thick, tall pasture in the spring.
* Pasture mix of seeds was planted in 2016/2017.
All of our land practices are "organic", if that means anything anymore. For our pasture, we don't spray... at all. We don't use fertilizer... at all. We don't ship any waste off the farm. Everything is turned back onto the land. The waste water is used to water the pasture (it has nutrients we worked hard to grow... no way we're going to throw that away). We compost all of the offal and that compost is spread back onto the fields to build the soil.